Sunday, December 24, 2006

Goes for Business / Systems Analysts, too

In my last post, I mentioned that good developers do not necessarily need/want a promotion to a manager/architect position, just because they are the best developers. Perhaps for some -- paying them more is all that is required.

Responses I've heard from various individuals disagree with me. The main theme in these disagreements is this: With the increased use of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) to comform with the Capability Maturity Model (CMM), developers are called upon to do less and less. This is because SDLC and CMM call for proper and complete documentation. This requires the developer to simply implement what has already been throught through for him/her. So, it stands to reason, you do not need strong developers because the analyst work is already completed. Implementing it is the easy part.

My first response: Due to the poor quality of many of the technical specifications and design, you still need good developers who can work through bad design and documentation. So, my original sentiment holds true. Our industry does not have the quality of analyst required.

My second response: Pay your best analysts more, too! In othe words, take my previous article and replace the word "developer" with "analyst" and I think it still holds true. Find you best analysts and -- if it is in-line with the career path -- do not necessarily promote them, but pay them more.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home